Taipei – officially known as Taipei City – is the capital city and a special municipality of Taiwan. The city has recently been named among the top 10 choices to countdown into the New Year 2017 in Asia. Is is estimated that more than one million visitors will travel to Taipei this year for New Year’s Eve celebrations and parties.
Introduction to Taipei
Taipei city is in the northern part of the Taiwan island in a basin between the Yangming Mountains and the Central Mountains. It is the 4th biggest administrative area of Taiwan, after New Taipei, Kaohsiung and Taichung, with its population of 3 million inhabitants living in 12 districts.
Events and Parties
Taipei is well known for its amazing nightlife with various options of bars and nightclubs to suit any party goers. Taipei is even ranked higher than London, Paris, Tokyo or New York for the best place to welcome the New Year. Taipei puts on one hell of a New Year’s Eve party. A large portion of the core downtown is blocked off to make room for a monster sized stage. All of the biggest names in music and the big screen take a turn at entertaining the massive crowds.
NYE fireworks will be set off from the Taipei 101 building. There are many ideas places to see the midnight fireworks, including riverside parks and the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall. And below are some suggestions for your countdown parties:
- For those seeking a change from the club scene, hotel parties are the new rave. Liquid Lifestyle Group has teamed up with DJ Dominik Hooker and Taipei’s Paris Nights to organize a night of bling, bowties and boas at the Grand Hyatt.
- One of Taipei’s most famous nightclubs, Room 18 is throwing their annual New Year’s Eve rooftop party. The conveniently-located Xinyi club promises a night of indulgence and bubbly on a luxurious open-air patio with views of the fireworks from Taipei 101.
- Not to be outdone by Room18, Luxy is hosting their own party with a rooftop view to catch the fireworks at Taipei 101 building. Swedish DJ duo DubVision will be spinning techno-house music and there’s an open bar until midnight.
- ATT Show Box has increasingly come to be a popular venue for themed parties. As the name suggests, you will be in the box, but it’ll be fun because the theme of the night is neon. They will be handing out neon glow sticks on the dance floor.
Transport on NYE
Taipei City has decided to operate the MRT services for 24/24 hrs during the New Year’s celebration. City buses are also set to keep running until 2:00 am. However, Taipei City Hall and Taipei 101 MRT stations will be closed on NYE time. Visitors are advised to take the next surrounding ones at SYS Memorial Hall, Yongchun, Xinyi Anhe or Xiangshan.
Hotels for NYE
There are around one thousand hotels and resorts in Taipei. Top 10 most booked hotels for NYE are listed below:
- Caesar Park Hotel
- United Hotel
- Palais De Chine Hotel
- Park Taipei Hotel
- Home Hotel Da An
- Sun World Dynasty Hotel
- Sweetme Hotspring Resort
- West Gate Hotel
- Green World Hotel Zhonghua
- Nine Plus Spa Hot Spring Hotel
- East Dragon Hotel
If you are planning to spend your next coming New Years Eve in Taipei, early booking is highly recommended.