April, the month of Songkran Festival, is considered to be one of the hottest months in the Thai calendar year (differed from New Year) and Chiang Mai is recommended as the place to be during this period. Chiang Mai is voted one of the best destinations for New Year in Asia.
Why Chiang Mai?
Chiang Mai is the largest and most culturally significant city in northern Thailand. Positioned in the foothills of northern Thailand, it’s picturesque with a magic feeling to it, effortlessly combining traditional Thailand with the modern world.
Time flies by in Chiang Mai, where you can easily spend a week sightseeing, doing outdoor activities and of course, eating! Cuisine specialties of the city include sushi bars around the university, Burmese curries, Thai street food and vegetarian health food.
Things to do on Songkran
- Famous Night Bazaar
- Botanic Garden
- National Museum
- Ancient Walls & Temples
- Climb the 300 stairs to Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep
Songkran in Chiang Mai
You are spoiled for choice when it comes to celebrating Songkran in Chiang Mai. Pools, canals and streets are just a few of the places where you can get your water supply.
Better yet, be prepared!
Grab a water pistol or even a hose and begin drenching people!
It’s all about fun, fun and more fun.
Here’s the official Songkran schedule observed in recent years in Chiang Mai:
- 6 a.m: Merit making and alms giving at Tha Pae Gate
- 8:00 a.m: Grand opening ceremony at Tha Pae Gate
- 8:30- noon: Lanna offerings contest, performances at Tha Pae Gate
- 7 a.m. – noon: Parade of Mae Ying Kee Rod Theep Kaeng Jong, or Lanna girls on bicycles with umbrellas beauty contest, from the TAT office to Tha Pae Gate.
- 9.00 – 9.30 a.m: Invitation ceremony of Buddha Sihing image on a special carriage at Wat Phra Sing.
- 1:00 p.m: Invitation ceremony for Phra Buddha Sihing image, parade of Buddha images and Miss Songkran float in the procession from Train Station to Wat Phra Sing.
- 7 pm. to midnight: Miss and Mr. Songkran Contest, Lanna local arts competition at Tha Pae Gate
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m: Buddhist procession from Iron Bridge to Tha Pae Gate carrying holy sand and relics
- 1:30 – 6 p.m: Blessings will be offered to the Chiang Mai Governor with participants starting from 3 Kings Monument to the Governor’s Residence on Nawarat Bridge.
Hotels and Accommodations
Chiang Mai has full range of hotels that can accommodate any visitors needs. If you are planning to spend next coming Songkran festival in Chiang Mai, early hotel booking is extremely recommended. Check now the best discount for hotels in Chiang Mai listed below: