Lagos is the commercial capital of Nigeria and the biggest city in Africa. With population of 18 million people, the United Nation predicts that Lagos state will be 3rd biggest mega city in the world by 2017 after Tokyo (Japan) and Mumbai (India). Together with Cairo in Eqypt and Johannesburg in South Africa, Lagos is one of the most attractive destinations for celebrating New Years Eve 2018 in African continent.
Introduction to Lagos
Lagos consists of the Mainland, Greater Lagos and the Islands. Three major bridges join the island to the mainland. Lagos is a major financial center and one of the most biggest and busiest ports in Africa. You can get to Lagos by plane from most European cities (London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Madrid, Paris, Rome and Istanbul), from Doha, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Cape Town, Ethiopia and Kenya. And also direct flights from New York , Atlanta, Houston (United States).
Events & Fireworks
Lagosians in the nightlife scene are already big spenders, but come NYE you’ll see more G-Wagon’s in front of the city’s biggest clubs than you do at your local Benz dealership. Depending on your crowd there are a number of clubs to choose from all located on Victoria Island of course. Quilox will usually host a Moet bottle filled extravaganza with top Nigerian hip-hop artists.
Lagos Countdown is an annual event at the Bar Beach in Lagos. The event lasts for around twenty days and traditionally begins on the 7th or 8th of December and lasts through January 1st of New Year. Festivities for the countdown typically include fireworks, live music concerts and karaoke.
If you’re really feeling fancy, we suggest a yacht party on the Lagos lagoon or chartering one of your own from a member of the Lagos Motor Boat Club. The best choice is to stay right on the island so that you can be close to the action.
Restaurants for Countdown Parties
- Thistle Bar & Restaurant
- Double Four (Pizza)
- Yellow Chili(specialities include Fried Snail with Fries)
- Terra Kulture within an art gallery.
- Whitehouse in Yaba near E-centre.
- Mama Cass in Ikeja
- Bottles (Tex-Mex) – very good and reasonably authentic. Fajitas are very popular. Frozen Margaritas are a must-have.
- Cactus (Pizza & Sandwiches)
- Le Saison (Pastries and Sandwiches)
- Debonair’s Pizza (Victoria Island, Opp to Park n Shop) (Pizza)
- Goodies Restaurant (Next to Goodies supermarket, near Falomo Bridge, Victoria Island)
- Bungalow Restaurant (Oregun, Ikeja and Victoria Island)
Hotels for NYE
There are more than one hundred hotels and resorts will full range of services and facilities in Lagos. The most booked hotels for New Years Eve are listed below:
- Sheraton Lagos Hotel
- Blowfish Hotel
- Golden Tulip Festac Lagos
- Radisson Blu Anchorage Hotel
- Avenue Suites
- Protea Hotel Ikeja
- First View Luxury Apartment
- Ibis Hotel
- Protea Hotel
- The Federal Palace Hotel
- Lagos Oriental Hotel
If you’ve decided to spend your next coming Christmas and New Year in Lagos (Nigeria), early booking is strongly suggested.