There is a rising trend of spending holidays in foreign cities where you have never been before. This should bring to you a great experience of your lifetime. If you are wondering which country is the best destination for your next coming holiday season, we would suggest Sao Paulo – host city for opening match of FIFA World Cup. São Paulo is the largest city in Brazil, the largest city proper in the southern hemisphere and the Americas and the world’s seventh largest city by population. The city is considered a Global City according to many classifications. The city has a lot of tourism attractions and NYE celebrations waiting for you to discover on your vacation there.
New Year’s Eve celebrations in Sao Paulo is the second largest event in Brazil, just after legendary Carnival. There will be hundreds of NYE programs for you to choose from.
Bourbon Street, one of the hottest jazz clubs in São Paulo, is the ideal place for jazz and blues and salsa music performances. It has a unique piano-shaped bar that serves up great cocktails. The atmosphere of the bar is fantastic. Another fun place for NYE time you should check out is Bar Brahma, one of the oldest bars in São Paulo. You will enjoy there the lively Brazilian music and happy patrons dancing and singing greatest way into the New Year. Additional dancing venues are the Opium Solarium and D’Edge.
Avenida Paulista opens its streets on NYE midnight to pedestrians and block off all cars. So that they can play host around 2 million guests who come to enjoy live music and NYE fireworks displays. The activities are free for the most parts. Every year the area goes up with a new theme for their New Years Eve activities. And NYE should have a special theme ahead.
There are many traditional customs of Sao Paulo that you should consider on New Years Eve celebrations:
- Jumping 7 waves at the beach after midnight to honor Iemanjá, the goddess of the waters, and to bring good vibrations. And it’s just fun.
- Wearing (new) underwear, in which the color defines your biggest desires for the following year.
- Eating 12 grapes at midnight, one representing each of the following months, and wishing for a prosperous and healthy year.
- Wear white and drink champagne!
- Hope 3 times on your right foot with your glass of champagne in hand to start the year on the right foot. This sounds pretty ridiculous, but it does happen. At some parties some people might think you’re just weird though
- Do not eat chicken/turkey, because they kick their legs back to walk – meaning a backwards year ahead and do eat pork, lentils, pomegranate.
Get to Sao Paulo
São Paulo has 3 major airports: Guarulhos International (GRU) and Viracopos (CPQ) for international and some domestic arrivals, and Congonhas (CGH) for most medium and short haul domestic flights. Earlier air ticket booking is highly recommended to avoid any last-minute problems.
Accommodations on NYE
Being the largest city in South America, Sao Paulo has full ranges of accommodations that can suite any needs of visitors. There are more than five hundreds of hotels with great services and facilities such as Hb Hotels Ninety, L’Hotel Porto Bay Sao Paulo, Tulip Inn Interative Hotel, Bourbon Convention Ibirapuera Hotel, Melia Jardim Europa Hotel, etc. If you have decided to spend your up coming Christmas and New Year’s Eve in Brazil (South America), early hotel reservation is extremely recommended.